American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
Participants must successfully pass a try out session to enter the course. This is a blended learning course. Once individuals pass the try out, then they can complete the 8 hours of online coursework and in-person class time. This course provides certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer for 2 years.
The American Red Cross requires a minimum of at least 4 participants to be able to run the course. Please register with the front desk or online after successfully completing a try out session.
Everyone must try out to determine whether or not they qualify to participate in the course. If you intend to come to a try out session, please reach out to our Lifeguard Instructor & Aquatics Director, Mark Rivera, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to let him know which try out session you plan on attending.
The try-out consists of:
- A 300-meter swim (front crawl or breaststroke only)
- Treading water without using your hands for 2 minutes
- Diving to the bottom of the pool for a 10 pound brick, swimming 15 meters on your back with the brick, and getting out of the pool; all in under 1 minute and 40 seconds
To view a video example of the tryout, click here.
Once you successfully complete the try out, then you may begin completing the required online course work.
Please contact our Aquatics Director, Mark Rivera, at 717-334-9171 ext. 129 or by email at email@example.com for more information.
Upcoming Courses & Try Out Dates
Register online by Clicking Here or call our Front Desk at 717-334-9171.
October 16 & 17
Tryouts: Monday, October 11 @ 3pm
- Saturday, October 16, 1 pm – 6 pm
- Sunday, October 17, 8 am – 6 pm
November 27 & 28
Tryouts: Monday, November 22 @ 5pm
- Saturday, November 27, 1 pm – 6 pm
- Sunday, November 28, 8 am – 6 pm
January 22 & 23
Tryouts: Monday, January 17 @ 5pm
- Saturday, January 22, 1 pm – 6 pm
- Sunday, January 23, 8 am – 6 pm
Steps to Successfully Passing the Course
- Successfully complete the tryout session.
- Register for the course online or with our front desk.
- Complete all online coursework prior to the first in-person session.
- Attend all in-person class sessions.
- Pass the final rescue skill scenarios and final written exam on the last day of class.